I was also struck by our discussion on gender, which varied from the roles different genders play to the effect of clothing on the status (and vulnerability) of women. I couldn't help but notice that in the discussion, particularly that of clothing, much of what was said conformed to society's perceptions of the female gender. While this seems to be, in a sense, inescapable, generalities such as "girls just want to look pretty sometimes" is one that, to me, merely furthers an untrue expectation and/or behavior of femininity. Why is this not considered a primary component of masculinity? And, how can we understand society's implementation of gender and work towards gender equality when we ourselves are confined by those very boundaries of gender?
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
I found the discussion in class today be kind of frustrating, only because it felt like what we were discussing was only scratching the surface of the problem(s). First off, we never really found an answer to the question about why bisexual women are viewed as higher on the social hierarchy than bisexual men. In reality, there probably isn't just one answer, but there's got to be something. While the discussion came to the conclusion that society actually is more willing to accept sexual acts occurring between two women than between two men, why is society more accepting, or rather, less discriminatory to women who are attracted to both men and women. In one sense, I think what Gillian said about an answer being associated with the idea of masculinity as homophobia might be a possibility. Society, although not directly, seems to associate masculinity with penetrating a vagina. And yet, the perception of bisexual men as "confused" paints them in a way in which one has to potential to perceive that this act of holding power over a female is not enough for a bisexual male, and they are thus inadequate men. Does this place a male in a place that is more threatening to society and the gender roles instituted by society than a woman who could be perceived as wanting more than that same act of penetration? Furthermore, if sexual activity between two bisexual males challenges the idea of masculinity, why does sexual activity between two bisexual females not challenge the idea of femininity. On the other hand, could the fact that men allegedly find acts between women to be enticing be yet another form of placing women in a position of oppression, thus actually placing bisexual women below bisexual men on the hierarchy? An example of society's growing acceptance of the bisexuality of women was given which consisted of middle school girls now being more comfortable with "doing things" with other girls because they know their boyfriends will enjoy it. But, it seems to me that performing these acts not because you personally will enjoy them, but for the pleasure of another, is in a sense placing oneself under the power of that other person. At the same time, taking part in those behaviors because you want to and you enjoy them, which a number of the authors of our readings would argue does and should occur, but claiming you do it for another person is merely an act of bi- or homophobia. Finally, I couldn't help but wonder how the positioning of bisexual males and females relates to the same positioning of homosexual males and females. The other day in class, as well as today, we alluded that homosexual females are also considered as less threatening that homosexual males. Does this occur for the same reasons as bisexual males and females?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are *really* working with these ideas. I'm thinking about the lack of conversation I typically see around me relating to bisexuality. For example, the news might report that an interviewee is gay/lesbian but I have never heard someone identified as bi.
ReplyDeleteIn any case, I think this omission reveals a lot that is important about the typical approach to sexual orientation and identity - the need for TWO categories. Bisexuality is usually omitted as a category, but in any case, sexual orientation is NOT easily categorized. It involves desire, behavior etc... and is more accurately thought of as existing on a continuum rather than categorically.
I feel as though women bisexuals are a lot more embraced more or so by the male population and not put below bisexual men. Thinking about it now (at 8:50 am lol), an example that I could think of that shows this is MTV having Tila Tequila's Show "Shot At Love" where her bisexuality is placed out in the open and is more excepted. I doubt they would do a show like that with a guy.
ReplyDeleteFriends that I have that are guys that had identified themselves as Bi are often pestered to choose one or the other. People will say "your gay just come to terms with it" or "you're not gay you're just confused". It is coming from guys who identify masculinity with having sex with women and not men what so ever. I think not having these categories would make things easier, but human beings LOVE to classify things to either this or that with no middle ground, so I guess we are stuck.